This quick, easy and delicious soup takes a few minutes to assemble with some shelf stable time savers. Then, the slow cooker does all the work while you enjoy your day.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (any size is fine)
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Ground Cumin to taste, suggest about 1 T
- 1, 14.5 oz. small can of black beans
- 1, 14.5 oz. small can of diced tomatoes – fire roasted, with chilies or other appropriate flavor is great too!
- 1, 16 oz. jar (or 2 C) of mild or medium salsa
- 1, 32 oz. container (or 4 C) of chicken broth
- 2T dried cilantro or add fresh cilantro when shredding chicken
Optional Toppings when served
- Shredded Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Corn Tortilla chips
- Place raw chicken in bottom of the slow cooker.
- Salt, Pepper and Cumin to taste. I season in the same amounts as if grilling the chicken.
- Add remaining ingredients in listed order.
- A note about the chicken broth – you may substitute water, if in a pinch, however the soup is then thinner flavored. Using broth helps the flavors bloom.
- Cook on low 8-10 hours.
- Prior to serving pull the chicken breasts out, shred them, and then place the shredded chicken back in the soup.
- Tip = this recipe is sized for a 6-quart slow cooker. You may need to scale the ingredient amounts if your slow cooker is smaller or larger.