This flexible, easy and adaptable recipe works with almost any meal. I customize flavors to accompany the main course or use it for a hearty appetizer. Cooked longer for crackers and cooked less for flat bread it’s a sure crowd pleaser.
- 2 cups almond meal
- 4 t (rounded) of seasonings
- some possible combinations: oregano/mint, basil/oregano/rosemary, chive/onion, etc.
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/2 t garlic powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup softened (like butter not fully melted) coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Mix, using a whisk, the dry ingredients.
- Add wet ingredients (there isn’t a need to premix them). Mix together until a ball is formed.
- Pour the ball onto a silpat (or other baking surface) and, using wax paper to cover the dough, roll out to desired thinness.
- Use a pizza roller pre-score the sheet to desired size; smaller for crackers, wider for flat bread. Then place the silpat onto a baking sheet for baking.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes or until the edges begin to brown.
- Tip = this is delicious as a “bread” side dish however you may add toppers, like goat cheese and chives as shown above, for a beautiful and tasty appetizer.
The above recipe is a modified recipe from a friend who starts by pulverizing almonds. Unfortunately, the specific recipe details have been lost to time.