Snacks are difficult when avoiding wheat and sugar. It seems as if all snacks are crackers or sweets. This high protein trail mix is easy to make and can be customized to taste and diet preferences. I find using only raw nuts and seeds bland, so I add one or two roasted and salted ingredient to accent the other flavors. Using carob chips in lieu of “hard shell candies with soft chocolate centers” cuts the sugar grams, avoids caffeine, provides thrice the calcium, and has the added benefit of being naturally sweet. I also smuggled in some healthy unsweetened fruit servings!
- 1 c roasted and salted sunflower seeds
- 1 c raw walnuts, chopped, if desired, to preferred handheld size
- 1 c raw (or roasted and salted) cashews, chopped, if desired, to preferred handheld size
- 1 c raw (or roasted and salted) almonds
- I only suggest at most just one of the two preceding nuts roasted and salted
- 1/2 c raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 c unsweetened dried currants
- 1/3 c unsweetened carob chips
- 1/4 c unsweetened dried tart cherries
- Mix all ingredients in mixing bowl.
- Package for the trails of life.