A heartier tasting cookie with the natural sweetness of carob always delights. They are quick to make, and both the dough and cookies freeze well.
- 1/2 c butter, softened
- 1/2 c coconut palm sugar (you may use xylitol but it doesn’t blend as well)
- 1 egg
- 1t vanilla
- 1 3/4 c spelt flour
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 c unsweetened carob chips
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Beat the butter, sugar, egg and vanilla together.
- Blend in the spelt flour, baking powder and salt.
- Once the ingredients meld, fold in the carob chips.
- Drop by the tablespoon (or teaspoon) onto silpat, parchment paper or greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until they begin to brown. They brown from the bottom up; the tops will still be soft, but they’ll firm up as they cool.
- Let them cool.
Warning = Spelt contains gluten! Some find they tolerate it well, but others don’t.
The above recipe is a modified recipe from an un-recalled source. Unfortunately, I’ve not been able to find the source again and just have my own recipe notes.