This spicy blackening blend works great with chicken, beef and fish. Here I’ve used it with chicken tenders. The blend yields more than is needed so you can reserve the remainder to be used another day when you have less time. This is a low salt recipe however you may easily double or triple the salt to suite your taste.
- 1 T paprika
- 1 t onion powder
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1 t cayenne powder
- 3/4 t white pepper
- 3/4 t black pepper
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 t dried whole thyme
- 1/2 t dried who oregano
- 1 T oil
- Combine the seasonings, the first nine ingredients, to make the spice blend.
- Coat the protein with the blend, about 2 t per pound.
- Heat a skillet to medium high heat and add the T of oil
- Cook the chicken – cooking times vary for other proteins – for about 7 minutes or until the first side is browned. Then turn over and cook until done.
- This recipe is from the Colorado Dietetic Associations Cookbook here.