This is an Italian Ragu sauce you won’t forget. The slow process fills the kitchen with heavenly aromas and offers time to prep the rest of the meal. Shown is a primo plate of mini gnocchi bolognese.
- 1 pound ground beef/bison
- 4 slices of bacon
- 2 celery ribs
- 2 medium size carrots
- 1 large onion
- 8 oz. red wine
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 2T tomato paste
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 t pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- water to cover
- In a large skillet brown the beef/bison, remove cooked beef/bison to a small container
- Using the same skillet, cut the raw bacon into the pan, cook slowly on low until fully cooked
- While bacon cooks, finely chop the celery, carrots and onion
- Add the celery, carrots and onion to the skillet still containing the bacon. Increase the heat to medium-high and brown the veggies in the bacon fat.
- Transfer the contents to large, 4 qt., sauce pan. Add the reserved ground beef/bison. Set the heat to medium and pour in the red wine.
- When the red wine has evaporated, add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, pepper and bay leaves. Stir. Then add water to cover, about 9 oz., and cook over medium for at least 1 hour. If needed add more water.
- This recipe based upon a recipe provided the Santa Chiara study center.
I’ve just recently found this at Kroger. It’s delicious!