Buckwheat’s benefits combined with protein based almond meal provides a no-filler, all goodness, and gluten free scone. These nutritious scones are perfect for breakfast, a quick snack, or proper tea times. I’ve opted for pecans and dried cherries, but other nuts and dried fruit are easily substituted.
- 1 C almond meal
- 1/2 C buckwheat flour
- 2 T coconut flour
- 1 T coconut palm sugar
- 1 T xylitol
- 1 t baking soda
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 C butter softened, not melted
- 1 T (heaping) honey
- 1/2 C pecans, chopped
- 1/4 C dried unsweetened cherries
- coconut palm sugar to sprinkle on the top (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Lightly oil scone pan (I use coconut oil) or use parchment paper/silicon mat if opting for drop scones.
- Mix, using a whisk, the dry ingredients. Do not include the last three dry ingredients: pecans, dried cherries, and additional sugar.
- In a separate bowl mix the wet ingredients.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients. Mix until well blended.
- Add the pecans and cherries to batter.
- Scope into scone pan or drop onto baking sheet.
- Lightly dust sugar on top of the scones (optional)
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Note = the scones are darker colored due to the almond meal, not flour, and buckwheat.