Naturally sweet carob chips are lower in sugar, caffeine free, and provide three times the calcium of chocolate chips. Plus they taste delicious. Adding orange zest punches up the flavor with added benefit of making your home smell heavenly while they bake. Everyone loves these gluten free treats, especially those who don’t want a sugar-bomb breakfast scone.
- 1 C almond meal
- 1/8 C coconut flour
- 1 t coconut palm sugar
- 1 t baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 C butter softened, not melted
- 3 T (heaping) honey
- 1/2 C unsweetened carob chips
- Zest from one medium sized orange
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Lightly oil scone pan (I use coconut oil) or use parchment paper/silicon mat if opting for drop or pressed scones.
- Mix, using a whisk, the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl mix the wet ingredients.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients. Mix until well blended.
- Add the carob chips and zest to batter.
- Scope into scone pan, drop onto baking sheet or flatten to 6-in round disc and cut into 8 wedges.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve at room temperature to allow the flavors to meld.
- Note = the scones are darker colored due to the almond meal, not flour.