It’s an appetizer, a side dish, a sandwich spread, and more. Plus roasted eggplant is a flat-out delicious way to enjoy that beautiful, purple veggie!
- eggplant(s), approximately 1 pound
- 3 cloves of roasted garlic
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 2 1/2 T lemon juice (or the juice of 1 lemon)
- 1 t salt
- 1 t cumin seeds or ground cumin
- 1/8 t cayenne pepper
- 1/8 t black pepper
- Roast the whole eggplant(s) at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes. When roasting make sure to prick the eggplant with a fork or make several incisions in the eggplant; both methods work well. In the last 10 minutes toss in some unpeeled garlic cloves. Some I use for this recipe and others I save for later use.
- When the eggplant is cool to the touch, peel off the skin and discard it. Place the eggplant flesh, all of it even the seeds, into a blender, food processor or Vitamix.
- Unpeel the roasted garlic cloves and add them to the blender.
- Add everything else and blend until smooth.
- To thicken place in the refrigerator a few hours; this also sets the flavor.